Home decor trends, much like fashion, are here today and gone tomorrow. Certain classic elements are steadfast, creating the solid foundation for a beautiful and stylish home. And, if you’re planning on selling your home this year, it’s time to look at recent trends, assess what you have in your home, and find ways to move forward with your home decor. To help you get started, we’ve compiled a list of our top 5 trends to ditch this year so you can start fresh and sell your home!
1. Boho Style. A pervasive trend from last year, Boho decor is something that we’ve found to be quite polarizing. It has gone in and out of style many times over the years, and it’s not aesthetically pleasing to everyone. A few unique touches here and there as pops of color or texture may work to help your home stand out to a potential buyer, but much more than that is not recommended.
2. House Plant Jungle. House plants are wonderful additions to any home, but no one wants to walk into a jungle when touring a home. It’s best to keep house plants to a tasteful few, and to make sure they are well kept. Just like any other part of your home, signs of distress or neglect may turn off a potential buyer.
3. All White Walls. There’s no denying the versatility of an all-white wall, but a whole house in white? Cold and stark. Now, we’re not suggesting you explore all the colors of the rainbow for each wall in your home, but we do encourage subtle variety. Soft grays used with slight variations can do wonders for opening and brightening up a home, allowing for better flow and greater appeal to potential buyers.
4. Open Shelves in the Kitchen. One of those trends better saved for a magazine cover, open shelving is as impractical as it is challenging to maintain. When selling your home, the idea is to help others see themselves living there, call it their own. Once someone has moved on from the shock and awe of what they see, they’re going to quickly realize how such a thing will not work for them. Opt for glass or beautifully stained wood cabinets to appeal to a wider group of potential buyers.
5. Overdone Rustic. We have to clarify here that “overdone” is the important point here. A few rustic touches throughout your home are likely to appeal to a great many people, as it is a popular trend. However, it’s easy to overdo it, going from tasteful to barnyard all too quickly. Skip faux-upcycled items and opt for unique pieces that accentuate your home.
Navigating through trends and styles to find something that might appeal to a potential buyer is no simple task. Luckily, it’s what we do at Set To Show! We have years of experience helping folks like you sell their Minnesota home quicker and for a higher price. Contact us today to learn how we can help!